Sunday, May 23, 2010

Short and Sick

This week was "recovery", though I feel more worn out at the end than what I felt like when it started. I didn't miss any training runs, but I did contract my first cold of 2010 that forced me to stay home on Friday and continues to rage here on Sunday.

To recap the running, on Wednesday I ran 5.8km to work and another 7.2km back home for a total of 13km on the day. It was nice and easy and the run home was pretty quick.

Then on Thursday the cold started and by the afternoon I felt like a big sack of poop. I slept very poorly and by Friday morning was so achy that I decided to stay home. Although it was meant to be a rest day I was called into a teleconference and that perked me up enough (not necessarily in a good way) that I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and went out at noon for a nice 12km. It felt way better than it should have.

Saturday was spent at my son's first baseball tournament of the season, with your truly struggling throughout to coach. We got up at 5:30am and didn't make it back home until 8:30pm. I was totally bushed.

This morning was a really late start. By the time I dragged myself out of bed it was already +20C and humid. I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade and tried not to think about the run that was to come. In the end I really struggled through a slow and hot 15km and finished the recovery week with a total of 40km.

One week from today I will be in Ottawa running my first half marathon. I really hope this cold is long gone by then and that I have some semblance of energy for the race.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home