Friday, April 9, 2010

A Short Week Goes By Fast

The short work week just flew by and it seems that Friday just snuck up on me. Even with what seems like very little time to run I did manage to keep up with my workouts. On Tuesday it was really ugly weather outside and so I confined myself to the treadmill for a fairly uneventful, and uber boring, 8km. I wore my heart rate monitor for this one and even though I ran at a steady 5:12/km pace (7.0mph setting at 1.0% incline) my heart rate kept on climbing throughout the run. I was overheating a bit, and really that's one of the reasons I don't much like treadmills. I suppose I could snag the one big fan they have at the gym and stick it in front, but then I'd feel like I was hogging it and my eyes would totally dry out with that steady air blowing at my face the entire time. Nothing doing.

On Wednesday I did my usual walk to work so I can run home thing. It turned out to be a tougher run than it probably should have been and I felt sluggish the entire way. I managed to complete 9.5km and arrived at Owen's school just before 6pm to pick him up, glad to have the run finished.

After a tough leg workout on Thursday I got outside for my lunchtime run today even though the temperature was hovering not too much above freezing and the sky was threatening with rain. Lots of wind too. It was the right decision to shun the treadmill as I had a decent run. I started off feeling a bit kinked, but as the run progressed I felt better and managed to complete 10.5km with a sizable negative split. The first 5k I averaged about 5:23/km, and in the second 5.5km it was about 5:06/km. The heart rate averaged out at 147bpm, but despite running faster in the second half it held steady at between 143bpm and 146bpm, sneaking up to 147bpm only in the last half-kilometre.

So far I have completed 28km for the week with my long run still to come on Sunday. Also, I am just a hair over 10km away from completing exactly half of my entire mileage from 2009, and it's only the beginning of April! Either that means that my mileage total from last year is pretty pathetic (which it is), or that I am pushing too hard this year. I'm thinking its the former...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home