Monday, April 5, 2010

Long Weekend, Long Run

The long weekend is now almost over (with just the NCAA Final to go), and we are back from Ottawa. Didn't do too much this weekend, but got to hang out with the family and watched the Harlem Globetrotters for the very first time. The kids loved it, though I must admit that it is very difficult as an adult to suspend disbelief enough to really get sold on the jokes and tricks. Although I was entertained I also left a bit disappointed in the basketball skills that I saw. Not "amazing" enough...

On the running front I ran the longest long run of the year on Sunday, managing 20km in almost exactly 2 hours. (2:00:18 to be exact. First 10k average pace was 6:36/km, second 10k average pace was 5:24/km.) The first 10k I ran with my lovely wife and it was great. The pace was kept in check and my heart rate remained in the mid-120bpm range or lower the entire time. The second 10k I ran alone (after a much needed bathroom break) and I pushed the pace a little bit, but not really that much. I have been training without carrying any water or carbs or gels or drinks, and I was curious to know what "hitting the wall" would feel like.

I think I might have hit that wall at about the 18km mark. The last 2km was tough, but my legs felt fine. I think it was my brain running out of fuel that made it increasingly more difficult to keep going. That being said, this is exactly what I am looking for in my long runs. I want my body to learn how to convert fat into energy and push the point at which I hit the wall further and further away. I know that I will need to eat some sugar for my brain, but I would like to minimize my reliance on that type of stuff as much as possible.

In the end it was a great run. I also ended up with the highest weekly mileage of the year, and second highest of my life: 50km! This coming week is a bit of a step back and my mileage will not be as high, but close. Can't push it up too much every week or I will break down.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home