Saturday, March 13, 2010

Migrating The Blog Somewhat Successful

For anyone else out there still using FTP to publish their blog on Blogger.com you might be interested in my experience. Of course, according to Google only 0.5% of all Blogger users still use FTP, so perhaps this is useless, but I'm going to write it anyway.

In short, Google is removing FTP support as of May 1, 2010 and so yours truly, who has been publishing this blog via FTP so that I can have access to everything I publish on my local host's servers, is required to migrate my blog either to a "*.blogspot.com" address, or redirect the blog to Google's servers with the use of a Custom Domain. In my case, the Custom Domain is www.wonkyankle.ca, and if I were to transfer all of my data to Google's servers and still wish to use my domain I would have to ask my web host to modify some settings and redirect everything to somewhere is California and also change my blog URL from "www.wonkyankle.ca" to something like "blog.wonkyankle.ca".

Now, I am not too technically savvy, but I do know that all this means I have to do a bunch of crap that I do not want to do. So, I went searching around on the web (ironically using Google) to see if there were any workarounds created by Internet geniuses that I could use. I found one such workaround at www.posttwo.com that allows me to leave all my data on my local host's servers, and fools Blogger into thinking that I am now publishing to "wonkyankle.blogspot.com".

Well, after checking up with my host's support folks I went ahead and injected the right code here, downloaded the right .php file there, and put said file in the "root directory" to finish the job. The deed is now done.

And the verdict? Everything seems to work, but for one major issue that may be of interest to those reading this: ALL OF THE COMMENTS FROM ALL OF MY POSTS HAVE DISAPPEARED! I do believe that new comments will work, however.

So, buyer beware.

Now back to our normally scheduled programming of how my body is adapting to this thing called "running".

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home