Friday, February 26, 2010

Oops...

My plan for holding back during yesterday's weight training worked well and I was feeling pretty good...

... up until I got to Owen's school and took a tumble down some stairs! It was one of those accidents where time seems to stand still just long enough for one to consider all the potential outcomes while flying through the air, and all signs pointed to broken bones for yours truly. Luckily I don't seem to have cracked anything, though my left shoulder is sore as hell and I have a big bruise on the palm of my left hand that aches constantly. I did think that my collar bone had cracked when I first landed, but by the time I walked home it was feeling better and I'm quite certain that nothing is broken (other than my pride, of course).

Anyway, after that little mishap I watched Owen play scooter hockey (they sit on these little four-wheeled platforms and move an orange puck around with a paddle) at his school's Olympic celebration. His team lost in the final and they had a great time, but standing around for three hours did not do my shoulder or lower back much good. Boy, it sure sucks getting old, doesn't it?

So today I was wondering what kind of run I would have, if any. Toronto was hit by a small snowstorm and I ended up not biking to work, which would have been very painful given the bruised palm and such and I likely would have chosen to take public transit even if the weather had been perfect. The lack of biking meant that I really, really wanted to get my run in and so I trekked through the snowdrifts to the gym before lunch and had a go.

After doing some core exercises, as usual, I hopped on a treadmill and started off at an easy pace that I felt my body could handle, and that was also in keeping with the whole recovery week theme. I ran 6km at a pretty easy and steady pace setting of 6.5mph, which works out to 5:44/km on level ground and at 2.0% incline it's about equivalent to 5:25/km according to hillrunner (I always set the treadmill to 2.0% incline, and I'm starting to forget why, but I see no reason to change). The shoulder and arm didn't bother me at all, though it was tough doing some stretches before and after the run because I couldn't lean palms down on the floor or pull on my ankle to stretch the quad properly on the left side.

At least I was able to run! Here's hoping people around the city clear the snow off their sidewalks for my run tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home