Monday, July 18, 2011

An Interim Goal While I Wait

I'm still hurting from the Achilles, the groin, the lower abs, and the heel. Things are not good in running land and you can guess that I'm not the happiest camper right now when it comes to exercise. This weekend was the first full one since November 2009 that I did absolutely nothing fitness related (and I don't count going to the driving range with the kids as "fitness", but it was fun). A very sad state indeed...

Anyway, as I wait for my body south of the equator to get better I have been doing decent workouts for the north side at the gym. I've also started in on indoor rowing in an effort to keep some aerobic activity in my regiment, but I would really prefer to be running. As such, I need a new thing to focus on while I can't run.

It doesn't even have to be a sane goal apparently as I am now focused on lowering my body fat percentage for some reason. In the past couple of weeks I've made a conscious effort to pay better attention to my diet and have had some success and some spectacular failures. The temptations in the Summer abound and with two young boys it's nearly impossible to insulate yourself from exposure to sugary treats.

With that in mind I stepped on the fancy scale we bought a couple of years ago and checked in on my metrics. Body fat percentage currently sits at 10.2% (and I do recognize these scales are not exactly accurate, but I think that's a fair estimate anyway). My goal is to get down to 8%.

How will I achieve this? Especially while I can't run? And I can't really get back to working out my legs with weights while I'm still hurting so this will be extra tough.

The answer: by following a better diet with no processed sugary foods all week. Whole grains are the carb of choice from now on. No more pie (shudder!). No more white bread (shudder!). If I achieve this I will allow myself one treat on Sundays. If not, Sunday will be yet another dreary healthy mealtime day.

Cool?

It'd better be cause that's what the plan is. Just hope it sticks...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ace said...

I hear that pancakes stick, whole grain?

July 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Good luck with that diet....No way I could do it...love my processed sugary foods :).

July 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home