Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Tough Decision

As I wrote in my blurb over on the right there when it comes to running "each step holds the potential for complete disaster". I'm not sure that I need to quote myself, and I'm not absolutely certain that this counts as "complete disaster", but the truth of this statement has hit me squarely between the eyes.

More to the point, my wonky right ankle is forcing me to make a difficult decision that may impact my marathon race in October to the point that I may even have to DNS. It's quite distressing, but as I ran that pathetic 7km on Sunday I kept asking myself with every step the all important question, "Why the hell am I doing this in the first place?" Each step hurt, I was not having fun, and I was not getting a workout. The pain I can deal with if it is both fun and gives me a good workout (we all know that as "good pain"). What I was experiencing was the less desirable version (we all know that as "bad pain"). My body has, once more, betrayed me.

I am now facing the prospect of taking at least the rest of July completely off from running. Right in the frickin' middle of marathon training!!! Not having missed a week of running since November 2009!!!

But I suppose the writing was all over the proverbial wall. I was just too blind to see it. After running smartly based on effort with heart rate being the main metric all of 2010, thereby missing only three runs due to aches and pains. This year I've missed too many to count, both due to aches and pain as well as illness. In retrospect I was too bullheaded about my training, allowing the statistics to dictate my training more than how my body was responding. I've paid a price for being stubborn and the cost may be running my second marathon in the Fall.

Getting back to the question of why the hell I'm running in the first place I'm not certain there is a single and clear answer. But I can honestly say it is NOT to be injured. In fact, it may very well be the exact opposite. I started and continue to run because I was told I couldn't, because it is challenging and because I wanted to be "in shape". It's just that I've never adequately defined what "in shape" means for me and, therefore, continue to chase that seemingly unattainable goal no matter the level of fitness I achieve. Why can't I just be happy with where I'm at?

Because it's not in me to settle I suppose. But this comes at the risk of missing time due to injury. And that's the biggest pain of all...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I think taking time off is a great idea. If you've been running steady since 2009 then perhaps the break will do you more good then the training. Come back all healed and ready to run. Hope you heal up quickly.

July 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Nelly said...

Man, sorry to hear about the recent developments with your right ankle. Is this related to the achilles tendonitis that you are having too? I wasn't sure if it was on the same foot or not.

Seems like it might be the right call until your body feels back to 100%, maybe keep going to the gym and try to get your injury back to normal.

You probably already know this, but I would try to return to the intensity on runs that you had prior to your injury, seems like you were training well then, and not too tough for you.

I don't think your marathon in October is out yet, if you take maybe a week or so off, you can get back out there. And I would listen to your body for how hard to run, and whether you feel good or not. Good luck.

July 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

Ouch. I can feel the pain in this post. It sounds like you are on a good, but difficult track. Give yourself time to recover now, and not pay even more later.

Best wishes for speedy recovery.

July 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home