Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Trial Run

It certainly wasn't pretty. And I think it leaves more questions unanswered, but at least I did finally manage to get out for a run.

After suffering for the past week through not running, placating myself all the while with good upper body weight training sessions, I still decided to skip Saturday and take the entire day off. It was worth it as we spent the whole day in Prince Edward County, first checking out some cottages for potential purchase (yeah right!) and then the afternoon at the beach. It was a great day! We got home quite late with both boys passed out in the back of the car.

This morning it was a slow process getting up and moving. I wasn't out the door and running until nearly 10am and it was quite hot and humid out. I strapped on the heart rate monitor and went out with a "let's see what happens" attitude.

The first half of the run went fairly smoothly, all things considered, but I am not very happy with how my body in general feels from the lower abs down. I can't quite tell exactly what the source of the problem is, but things are tight and hurt and don't really loosen up ever.

The way home was going well until the last kilometre where my right Achilles started acting up a little bit. I slowed down even more and finished the pathetic 7km total and managed to keep my heart rate mostly in check despite the hot conditions. The average ended up being 142bpm and my pace (for what it's worth) was 5:40/km. Gone, it would seem, are the days were I could glide around at 5:00/km pace without a care in the World.

Very sad...

But, hey! Things can only get better from here, right?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

Runergirl training posted this link about achilles tendonitis, might be worth looking into:
http://runnergirltraining.blogspot.com/2011/07/prevent-achilles-tendinitis.html

good luck with the achilles!

July 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Andrewenz said...

Been off for a week myself so I feel your pain!

July 11, 2011 at 4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home