Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Heel Heal

A new wrench has been thrown into the whole running plan thing, although at the moment it is a small one. My right ankle is a bit sore on the inside, which is new, and also the heel hurts a bit. What the F!?!

I'm thinking it's the higher mileage and the introduction of speed work, but who knows. I will back off on the speed work for now, but am very much hoping to baby this puppy through the last three weeks of high mileage training prior to taper time. There are only five weeks left before the marathon now.

This morning I went out for a slow and steady run, and it was all going great. Then, with a couple of kilometres left, my right heel started to bother me. I think I know what it is (Tendonitis of the Tibialis Posterior Tendon) since it hurts when I press there, but once I am warmed up it doesn't bother me that much. The heel thing is a little bit more perplexing, though I suspect it is all related. I managed to complete a good 15km though, so that makes me happy. Tomorrow morning I would normally be doing intervals, but unless I experience a miraculous recovery (and even if I do) it's likely to be a shorter slow type training run.

So, for now it's ice, ice, ice, and stretch. Here's hoping it all holds together for a little bit longer!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ace said...

Well I can identify with heel pain, mine was/is plantar fasc. Stretching and new support in my regular work shoes actually helped a lot. /shrug. Good luck with it. 5 weeks to go! The countdown is on!

August 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home