Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Missed Run, and Swimming Up

Last night I had planned on a nice easy 3k recovery sort of run, but things kind of forced that to not happen. It was Owen's swim-up ceremony from Beavers to Cubs, and the whole process is quite involved and lengthy. The boys had a great time, though, which is the most important thing. Even though Malks is too young to even be a Beaver he got involved in the ceremony and a couple of the games afterwards. It was very cute watching him run around trying to keep up with the big kids, and Owen did a fantastic job of watching out for his little brother the whole time. I'm so proud of both of them! Here's Owen after his swim-up, his Beaver uniform now off, and waiting to get his Cubs woggle for his scarf, awesome hat head and all:


Since I didn't run last night I really didn't want to miss my swim this afternoon. Even though I felt very lethargic I forced myself to go and in the end had a good swim. I managed 1500m in 22:21 and it felt pretty easy. I have to keep up this swimming a couple of times per week since I think this has already paid off in my cardio and in letting my legs rest between runs. On top of that, as long as this plantar fasciitis continues to stay like an unwelcome guest I have to manage my running very conservatively. I'm not sure how much I will swim throughout the summer, but that's still a month or so away when my membership expires and I have to make the decision.

Later in the evening, as I watched Roy Halladay manhandle AJ Burnett and the Yankees like A-Rod manhandles a syringe (not to mention blonde ladies of the night), I also did some chin ups (3X9), sit ups (3X50), and push ups (3X35). I have to get back on the upper body stuff for it looks like that's the thing that falls off first when I get busy. Jays are now 23-12 on the season. The Yankees? NOT! And thanks to the Phillies beating the Dodgers as well this makes Toronto the first team to reach 23 wins on the season. Hope they can keep it up!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Owen! Sounds like your boys have a nice relationship. Way to keeo up with the upper body strength training.

May 13, 2009 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Marlene said...

Cute picture - he looks happy!

Good job getting in the pool and completing your upper body workout.

May 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

This swimming thing sounds intense! Ceremonies, headgear, amazing.

Mr. Halladay is a man amongst boys, I love watching him pitch...

May 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home