Monday, April 27, 2009

Short and Sweet

Today was another day that sure felt like summer and I was rather sad to have to spend the entire time planted firmly in a chair staring at a computer screen. I had a lot of work to do since the rest of the week will find me attending two different conferences: one on information management, the other on privacy.

Tonight, after playing catch with Owen for a bit, I managed to sneak out for a short recovery sort of run that in a past life would have felt like a workout, but now feels hardly worth mentioning. I ran a nice and slow 3km at an average pace of 5:34/km (8:58/mile) which took me 16:43 to complete. My heart rate should never have cracked into the 130s, but I felt really sluggish and out of gas the entire time so it actually hit the 140s for a bit. It averaged out to 137bpm, and I suspect that I still haven't totally recovered from yesterday's long run. I have two short runs planned for the rest of the week leading into my 10k race on Sunday morning and I think that this little jog around the neighbourhood will help work the junk out of my legs.

Also, this boosted my monthly total to exactly 100km, which is nice. It's the third month in a row that I've been able to hit that number. If the foot ever gets better I will be able to work my way up to that type of monthly distance in miles rather than kilometres, but that will be a while yet.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

Congrats on another 100(+) month!

I almost never run the day after a long run, but a nice short recovery job might be just the trick to work out some of these kinks. But too late now for today, it's bed time!

April 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job again this month! Hopefully your foot will continue to heal and feel better. Geesh, so many people are racing this weekend!

April 28, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's smart to do a short, easy run after a long run. It will help your muscles recover without draining you of much energy. Great job with the 100+k month.

April 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Great job on the totals for this month :-)

A 10k? You'll do fabulous :-)

April 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Nitmos said...

Good luck with the 10k! Run hard and enjoy.

April 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

You've been doing great. I'm sure you're going to rock that 10K!

April 29, 2009 at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home