Sunday, April 26, 2009

Long Run To Cap Off A Busy Weekend

Yesterday was definitely one of the busiest Saturdays we've had all year. Two baseball games, one that I had to coach, a birthday party to attend by one boy, then a friend coming over to the house to play with the other one, and a coaches meeting for another baseball league. Whew! The weather was fantastic and I did get a bit of a sunburn on my arms. I guess putting sun screen on my face was a good idea, but why didn't I do my arms? It's not so bad, so I'm OK with it.

Today was filled with catching up on things like mega loads of laundry and grocery shopping for the week. In the afternoon the family went to a driving range and had a blast, though I forgot to bring a camera. The boys got some good hits, as did Monica. Me? My irons were going really well, but I totally suck with the woods.

As far as running goes Monica went out a ran a nice 14k this morning, and then it was my turn. I headed out into the wind and wanted to run a bit faster than last weekend's long run. It ended up being a bit of an up-and-down run. When I started off I felt like it was going to be a struggle all the way, then the middle went really well and the splits were flying by nice and easy until the last few kilometres when it once more became really tough. The foot felt tight the entire way, but I've become used to this over the past six months. I wonder just how much time I will have to take off to clear up the plantar fasciitis issue. I hope to make it through to the Fall before taking any time off, if necessary. I'm also considering another shoe switch back to Asics of some sort. The SuperFeet insoles have definitely provided for more cushioning and support, and the exercises I've been doing have helped to strengthen the muscles that support the ankle, but my foot continues to bother me.

Anyway, in the end I ran the planned 15km in 1:19:03 (almost seven minutes faster than last weekend's run of the same distance) for an average pace of 5:16/km (8:28/mile). The heart rate averaged out to be 153bpm, 4 beats per minute higher than last weekend's run. I also included the hill up Pottery Road in this run and it was tough, but somehow not as tough as before. It was my slowest kilometre at 5:38, but not the 6:14 that it took me when I ran this at the end of my 10k two Friday's ago. In short, this was a good long run. Now that I am one week away from my next race the next few runs will be relatively short and I will really try to make them slow and easy.

Garmin don't lie.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

Nice 15k!

See you at Sporting Life ... actually, probably not since there are supposed to be something like 13000 runners. Should be a fun day!

April 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Ace said...

Dude you are motoring along! Looks like a great training run.


BTW CIPP, very cool. For some reason I was thinking you were in the privacy/info sec field?

I'm the privacy/infosec officer in my current job. You'll have to let me know how the exam goes...and I now know who to go to for all my PIPEDA questions.... :)

April 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job with the run!

I sure know what you are talking about with a jammed-packed weekend. I had to go to work today to try and recover.

April 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home