Monday, June 15, 2015

The 2nd of 18 Weeks

The second week of the marathon training plan went like this:

MondayOFF or 10k E. A bit sore from the hills on the roads around the cottage so I cut the run a bit short and managed 8k E at 5:25/km in the end. Since my other option was not to run at all this was a good option and I think it was a wise choice to hold back a bit with the first "Something of Substance" run, in the form of track repeats, to follow. In the afternoon I managed a running specific strength training session and a good rolling and stretching routine.

Tuesday4k E or 12x400m. Slowly getting the body used to waking up earlier and earlier. Today it was 5:30am and out the door at about 5:50am, heading to the track. Used the 2k on the way as a warm up, then stretched for a very short spell, and got right into the 400m repeats. Never stopped between, just kept jogging each 400m recovery interval. Each repeat was a bit faster than the intended 1:40, but I think that's ok. 1:37 was about the average with the fastest being 1:34.2 (the last repeat) and slowest 1:39.8 (the first repeat). Jogged home to cool down and the total ended up being 13k SP at 5:19/km. Went to the gym at lunch to do only stretching and rolling with some sauna thrown in for limbering up and such.

Wednesday: OFF. A day with no running doesn't mean I simply sit around. I figure going to the gym to do some running specific strength training, focusing on glute and core strength, is important so that's what I did at lunch. Nothing difficult and I would say that it's not the type of workout I'd typically go for, but I'm trying to keep the big picture in mind and staying healthy is the only way I will reach my goal. Won't be breaking any personal records on the bench press any time soon :(

Thursday5-10k E. Still feeling the effects of my first speed session of this marathon training plan I went out with the intent on running in the early morning as easy as possible. Mission accomplished! Although I still ran too fast according to the pace range that I should have been aiming for. Started off nice and slow, never really increased the effort, but the pace kept getting faster. Ran the last kilometre at a bit faster than goal Marathon Pace of all things! In the end I managed 10k E at 5:17/km, exactly the same distance and pace as last Thursday. At lunch time I went back to the gym for a full session of just flexibility work including rolling, stretching, and sauna.

Friday5-10k E. Decided that to truly stay healthy I should follow the sage advice of many a better runner than yours truly and to not only change up the types of runs that I do during the week, but also the surface upon which I run. So, I decided to take my easy run to the trails despite the rain and slipped and slid my way through the woods until I found a much more agreeable crushed gravel path, on which I proceeded to finish the bulk of my 5k E at 5:41/km run. I've also decided to keep the Friday and Saturday runs to the lower end of the goal distance given my injury history and the fact that even with this modification my weekly mileage will be appreciably higher than it has been in quite some time and surely enough to go on as I prepare for a marathon. In the afternoon I went to the gym for another running specific strength training session complete with rolling and stretching.

Saturday5-10k E. After a late night driving to the cottage on Friday, I woke up on Saturday and had a tough time getting moving. Finally made it out at about 8:30am for a creaky 5k E at 5:18/km run around the lake. Rest of the day was spent clearing the property of debris and hauling it to the dump. I was definitely ready for a break by the evening...

Sunday7-13k E. Not as much trouble waking up for this one as the day before. Managed to keep the effort nice and loose knowing that the route I chose would have me running down a considerable hill on the way out, and back up the same considerable hill on the way back. It was tough! Managed 13k E at 5:24/km in the end to cap off the second week of marathon training!

Total for the week: 54k at 5:21/km average pace.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home