Monday, June 8, 2015

The 1st of 18 Weeks

So, marathon training is officially under way. The first week of the 18 that lead up to my goal race is now completed and it went something like this... (In the form of "Day of the Week": "Training Plan Prescribed Workout". "Summary of day's events.")

... But I guess that's obvious ;)

Monday: OFF. Went to the gym and did some running specific strength training as well as rolling and stretching, which was especially required after the 5K race from the day before.

TuesdayOFF. Plan called for an off day, but I went out in the morning and ran 5k E at 5:31/km. Focused solely on cadence and managed 178spm, which is pretty good for me when taking the easy pace into account. Later in the day I went to the gym for some more specific strength training and rolling/stretching.

Wednesday: OFF. This was a true off day as per the plan. No gym, no running! This is to be celebrated I suppose given that I have a real problem with taking time off. I did get a massage though, which was good, and the therapist even taped up my back at the end of the session on his own initiative to try and change the way my body is "feeling" that pain in the left ribs. It's been there since last September, but it doesn't seem to impede my training. Just a constant gnawing pain that hurts with each step when I walk, but seems to be kept in check when I run...

Thursday: 5-10k E. As per the plan I manage the goal quite nicely and ran 10k E at 5:17/km. Again, I focused on cadence and hit 180spm bang on! However, the goal pace for E runs is to be 5:22-6:09/km so I went a bit too fast. I find it hard to maintain my goal cadence while running slow in particular because the slower I go the more trouble I have with my breathing pattern and I start to hyperventilate. It's better when I run just a bit faster though and this was still a very easy effort so I count it as a success. Went to the gym for some basic strength training specific to running and lots of stretching and rolling. Good first official day of of the training plan!

Friday: OFF or 10k E. Another early morning run, but not as early as I'd hoped. Could not sleep after 1 a.m. or so. Then I think I actually passed out around 5 a.m. so when my alarm went off at 5:45 I was in trouble. Took nearly a half hour before I was actually out and running. Wanted to focus again on cadence and trying to slow down at the same time so I went and did loops of a local park that has a good steady incline on one side for about a half kilometre or more. Managed 10k E at 5:16/km so failed on the pace as it was still too fast. Came close to the cadence goal at 178spm, but I have no idea how it averaged out to anything other than 180spm based on the graph from my Garmin data. Oh well... Later in the afternoon I went to the gym for a basic strength training workout and a decent amount of rolling and stretching. I think the rolling and stretching routine will be an important component to maintain health in order to allow the running part of the training plan to take place uninterrupted so the plan is to do this religiously!

Saturday: 5-10k E. Decided on the lower mileage goal since I had run on what was supposed to have been an OFF day on Tuesday. Best part was making the local running group regular Saturday morning run! I hadn't run with this group in over a year and a half. Managed a nice 6.5k E at 6:11/km. while chatting and catching up with the folks in the group! Really a great way to begin the day and this really kept my pace and effort in check.

Sunday: 7-13k E. At the cottage so got to run on the beautiful country roads around and near the lake. Not a single red light to have to stop for and very little traffic to navigate over the course of my 13k E at 5:22/km run. Toughest part was the hills, especially that 2km long steady climb starting at about the 8.25km mark. Good way to finish the first week of marathon training!

Total for the week: 44.5k at 5:27/km average pace.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home