Monday, January 20, 2014

Wrinkles

This week represented the first setback in quite some time. For once I feel confident that the reason for the setback was not overtraining, but rather my inability to recognize that a pair of shoes was causing problems soon enough to avoid injury. After I switched shoes, thinking the pair I'd been wearing was at the end of their useful running life, I thought I was being smart. I threw on a pair of Asics GT2170's, the same model I'd worn before successfully and part of the same model line I'd been using for years with good results. This pair, for some strange reason, started rubbing the outside of my left foot under the ankle bone when I ran. I thought they just needed to be broken in and attempted to soften that area of the shoe with my hands to get rid of that annoying rubbing. However, I think the fact that the shoe was bothering my ankle changed my gait just enough that another, much more serious problem, started developing. I didn't become aware of it until it was too late, but I maintain it has nothing to do with mileage per se. It's just that this is the first time I've ever experienced this specific issue with footwear and now must suffer the consequences of my inexperience. As such, I haven't been running since Thursday and have made a commitment to let this injury (which is a bit like the scary plantar fasciitis, but I think it's actually a muscle or tendon strain in my foot) heal before getting back into running. I hope it will only take a few more days, but have no idea as I am not able to simply put my feet up and let it run its course. Coaching basketball will keep me on my feet, especially as we are heading into our first tournament next weekend. Oh well... Fitness will be lost I guess, and that sucks big time!

In the end I managed to cover a paltry 40.3km (25 miles) on 3hr38m39s of running.
  • Monday: rest (Left foot hurting, think new shoes are a problem. Took a rare day off to let it rest.)
  • Tuesday: 12km, 1:06:01, 5:30/km, 130bpm (Early morning run, nice and easy recovery pace, testing the foot and new GT2000 shoes.)
  • Wednesday: 16.2km, 1:31:30, 5:39/km, 135bpm (Tough waking up early enough to get this one done. Still bothered by left foot, so running slowly and trying to remember this is a step back week.)
  • Thursday: 12.1km (treadmill), 1:01:08, 5:03/km, 143bpm (Still sore in the left foot so this was supposed to be a bit easy. As I ran the foot felt better so I increased speed gradually topping out at 7.8mph for a 10min stretch. Good run.)
  • Friday: rest (Alarm went off at 5am, decided foot was hurting too much to go for a run.)
  • Saturday: rest (All day coaching certification clinic including 4 hours on court and foot had a setback. Damn it!)
  • Sunday: rest (No running. Left foot going to take some time to heal.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it's good that you are putting your ankle and joints into a bit of a test run, instead of keeping them static and sedentary. It's always a good thing to keep on moving. Wishing you all the best for the routines which you have planned for yourself, but as they say, if symptoms persist, consult a doctor :)

Darryl @ US Health Works - Tukwila Fort Dent Center

January 24, 2014 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home