Monday, January 11, 2010

A Weekend Packed With Accomplishments

Wow, what a weekend! Sometimes it’s actually a relief to be back at work, though equally rewarding to look back and be happy with all that was accomplished.

On Saturday the first thing I did was go for a run. I wanted to go somewhere between 8 and 10k, but ended up running a bit further because I misjudged the length of the route I had decided to take. As a result I ran further than I had since last summer, a total of 12km. My pace was decent as well, even though I am not yet concerned with it and don’t pay attention to it while running. It ended up being 5:39/km (9:06/mile), which is pretty good for me at the moment. The whole thing took 1:07:58 to complete and my right knee felt pretty good as well. I was worried that running that far, when my previous longest run since my surgery and layoff was 9km, would be bad, but in the end I feel fine. Must keep doing the exercises that seem to be helping…

The rest of the day was spent driving one kid to a birthday party, taking the other one grocery shopping, dismantling the Christmas Tree and putting all of that stuff away (a surprisingly time consuming task), preparing our skiing stuff for the next day, and taking Owen to his first indoor baseball practice of the year.

On Sunday we were off just a few minutes past 8am for our first cross-country skiing trip of the year. The weather was absolutely perfect for the kids’ first lessons, and for the parents’ own jaunt on the finely groomed trails. After two hours we all met up for lunch, where tonnes of food was consumed thanks to the packing of said massive amounts by the lovely Monica. After lunch I took Malcolm out on the trails while Monica went off with Owen. Malks was so good on the trails too! He got over his fear of downhills and showed off his new gliding abilities. He was so cute! I did a total of 10km of skiing, which was a decent amount for the first of the year. More imprtantly, the knee didn't bother me at all, which means I will be able to push a bit harder on subsequent trips and actually get a great workout!

After we got home I had to work on my bike to get it ready for the week, a task that is not always pleasant, but so necessary given how grimy everything gets during the winter with all the salt that gets put down on the roads. Not sure why I’m mentioning this here, but it does feel like yet another thing that got accomplished, and my bike ride to work this morning was very smooth as a result.

Whew! What a weekend… Next weekend looks to be much the same, except BOTH kids have separate birthday parties to attend. There just simply isn’t enough time to fit everything in.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

Boy that's a lot of different exercises done! Glad to hear the knee is holding up.

January 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Lily on the Road said...

VAVA!!! HI!!!

So glad you stopped by because you know what, even though you've been posting it NEVER showed up on my sidebar!! I thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth! So glad to read that you've been busy with the family and kids...and skiing too.

Xcountry skiing will really help your knee, oh good Job!!!

I'm now going to go over and kick my sidebar and see if I can get your updates again!

Happy 2010!!!

January 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of birthday parties for your kids. Morgan has been to more parties this year than me! These kids have such a social life.

So glad to hear the body is holding up and feeling well. I think you are going to have a great year.

January 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home