Monday, January 18, 2010

Another Full Weekend

Whew! What a weekend.

Saturday: two Birthday parties to attend, one by each loin fruit. Then baseball practice for Owen. Before that I ran 9.1km to complete the week at a total of 27km. Slowly, but surely...

Sunday: Off early to cross country ski, where I managed 13km adult style, and another 2.1km with Owen after lunch (total of 15.1km of skiing, at is was fun!). We definitely were tuckered out when we got home. I spent the evening cleaning dishes, washing kids, folding laundry, and watching the Jets pull off a great upset over the Chargers. Here's hoping they can do it again next week.

Today I went to the gym to do my first leg strengthening session. It was light, short, and I got through it without too much trouble. The routine went like this:

  • Crunches 2X50
  • Captain's Chair 2X25
  • Dead lifts 2X15 (20lbs dumbbells)
  • Leg Extensions 2X15 (20lbs, 30lbs)
  • Squats 2X15 (10lbs per side, on the Smith Machine because the squat rack was being used)
  • Calf Raises 2X15 (75lbs)
  • Adductor thingy (1X25)
I really hope that this will eventually lead to complete recovery of my ongoing patellar tendinitis. My right leg is definitely weaker than my left, and that explains the problem I suspect. In fact, I measured the circumference of my legs and my left is almost an inch bigger than my right! Today was the first step towards balancing that out. I'd love to be able to do one-legged squats someday...

This evening I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes and called it a day. I'm not even sure why I still ride the stationary bike on days when I don't run, seeing as I bike 20-25 minutes each way to and from work, but it seems like the right thing to do somehow. I don't count commuting as part of my fitness regimen, though I suspect it does help a little bit.

Tomorrow I am probably going to hit the treadmill for my run unless the weather is really nice. If it is nice I will instead do some upper body weights. That's the plan, anyway...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew is getting fit said...

I've got to try cross country skiing someday. It sounds great!

January 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the strength training will definitely help. What is the captain's chair? never heard of that one before.

Glad you guys survived Saturday!

January 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home