Wednesday, July 23, 2008

First post

I may not update this blog daily, but my intention is to track my progress in my quest to get into / stay in shape. After two years "off" (I bike to work, and chase after two little kids) I have decided to say the hell with it. So I joined a gym in January, and started running on a treadmill. Although surgery was recommended, and I've been waiting for my time to come, I have decided that as long as I can function with minimal pain I will avoid going under the knife for as long as possible.

When I started running, I was going for 10 minutes at 5.0mph. Now I have been running consistenly for 30 minutes at 6.3mph about three to four times per week. I have also been doing some strength training and am starting to entertain thoughts of running a 10k next year, and hope to break 45min for that distance. The other day I ran 4k at a 5min/km pace in the middle of a 40 minute run, which would mean that I should be able to achieve a 50 minute 10k. Naturally, I am not ready for that, but it seems more achievable than anytime in the past.

Oh yeah, I should also mention that I was not built for running. I am tall, and spent my childhood to early adulthood as a competitive swimmer. Swimmers generally don't make good runners, but I know quite a few who have made the transition successfully, so why not me?

I intend to track my workouts here, running times, weightraining sessions, etc. If you find this interesting, let me know and leave a comment. I have found other peoples blogs in this vein inspirational, and if mine does something approaching "inspiring" then that would be cool.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Nice to meet/read you. I am much more of a swimmer, too, although I have a feeling you were much more accomplished than I. It's hard to be decent at whatever and then take up running and not only not be very good, but have it cause a lot of pain. It seems like some people's bodies can just handle running better. Well, no worries. You can still enjoy it and still get a lot out of it. And you are already finding out how fun it is to share advice, get support from all the bloggers out there. I'm so glad we ran into each other!! Good luck on your journey.

Nanc

September 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Well, you have to have a nice comment on your first post. :D

September 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home